How to Make Your Gift Count in 2017

Dec, 2017

December 4, 2017—Here are some helpful tips for making a charitable gift before 2017 comes to a close:

Give Online

Gifts to Humboldt State can easily be made online via credit card by visiting our online giving site. It is easy, secure, and you can give until 11:59pm on December 31, 2017 and it will still be tax deductible for 2017.

Give by Mail

Please make your check or money order payable to "HSU Advancement Foundation," write the department, program or fund you wish to donate to on the memo line and send the check to:

Humboldt State University Advancement Foundation
Gift Processing Center
SBS 285
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521

Wire Transfers and Gifts of Securities

Detailed instructions for making a wire transfer or gift of securities by electronic transfer can be found here. Please let us know when you intend to make your gift so we can look for the receipt of your assets in our account and assure a timely process.

Charitable IRA Rollover 

You can make a tax-free gift from your traditional IRA (other qualified retirement plans such as 401(k)s and 403(b)s are not eligible). You must be at least 70 ½ years old to take advantage of this opportunity. You must transfer your gift directly from your IRA administrator to Humboldt State University. The total of all of your rollover gifts in any one year cannot exceed $100,000 per person. A spouse with a separate IRA could also make a rollover gift of up to $100,000 if they otherwise qualify. HSU’s Federal Tax Identification Number: 94-6077724

Making sure your gift counts in 2017!

Timing matters when making a gift. You can deduct your contributions only in the year you actually make them.

  • Checks must be United States Postal Service postmarked December 31, 2017 to be tax deductible for the 2017 calendar year.

  • Credit card gifts must be charged prior to December 31, 2017 if you want the gift to count in 2017. The easiest way to do this is to make a gift online.

  • Try to avoid mailing a gift through a third party, like FedEx and UPS. The gift date for third party services is the date the package is received, not the postmark date.

Campus closure dates:

Campus will be closed from December 23, 2017 through January 1, 2018. We will return to the office on January 2nd, 2018.

If you have questions during this time, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’ll be checking phone and email once a day while campus is closed, so please contact us if you have questions.

Call or Email us with questions!

If you have questions about giving to Humboldt State University, you can call the Office of Philanthropy at (707) 826-5200 or email us at

*This information is intended to be helpful and does not constitute legal, financial, or tax advice. Because everyone’s situation is different, we encourage you to seek professional legal, estate planning, and financial advice before deciding on a course of action.